Garden Focaccia Bread
Focaccia bread is so easy to make and I use a basic bread recipe that I also use for pizza bases. With heaps of basil still in my garden, I thought I would make some delicious herb focaccia. You can use any herbs and greens you have in your garden for this Focaccia Bread recipe and get creative with the topping design!
Bread Ingredients – makes 2 focaccia
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp Active Dried Yeast
- 4 cups Flour
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 TBS olive Oil
- 2 cups of herbs ( I used 70% basil, chives, sage, dill, nasturtium leaves)
- 4 Chillis
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 1/2 tsp rock salt
- 2-3 TBS Olive Oil
- 1 small Red Onion
- 1 small Red Bunching Onion or spring onion
- Baby Rainbow Chard
- Dill flowers
- To make the bread combine water, sugar and yeast in a jug or bowl. Whisk to mix and set aside for 10mins.
- In a large bowl mix flour, salt and Olive oil and then add yeast mix. Stir and form a dough. Add extra flour or water if needed.
- Cover and leave somewhere warm for 1-2 hours to rise.
- Whilst waiting for the dough start making your herb mix. Finely chop garlic, herbs and chilli (remove seeds if you don’t like too much heat and place in a pestle and mortar. Add rock salt and 1 TBSP Olive oil. Grind to a paste. If you don’t have a pestle and mortar just chop finely and crush in a bowl using the end of a rolling pin or similar.
- Add the remaining 2 TBS of oil and stir to combine.
- Finely slice rings of red onion. I use the thin fitting on my mandoline. Place in a bowl and add your baby greens, then drizzle with oil.
- Cut your spring onion or bunching onion down the middle lengthways.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, place on a floured bench and split in half. Roll each half out to form your focaccia. Place on a greased oven tray.
- Using the end of a chopstick or teaspoon handle, make small indents into the dough so that the flavour can get right in. Brush on your oily herb mix and then place on your extra toppings as desired. Red onion, spring onion, rosemary, extra herbs or chilli, baby greens.
- Add an extra drizzle of olive oil and cover with a tea towel. Let them rise again somewhere warm for about 10mins.
- Heat oven to 170degrees celsius and cook for 25mins or until slightly golden.
- Top with fresh herbs and serve. Delicious by themselves but amazing with chutney. I had extra herb oil left so I added more herbs/ chilli and made a green curry to eat with my bread and it was so good together!!
Other topping suggestions: Feta, olives, cheese, sundried tomatoes, caramelised onion… the options are endless for Focaccia Bread toppings!
Get creative and make your Focaccia bread your own piece of art. Be sure to tag me so I can see your amazing creations!
MY GARDENING ESSENTIALS //
Fertiliser spray gun: https://bit.ly/366nL1t
Retractable Hose: https://bit.ly/2TSC0Bo
More gardening tools: https://bit.ly/32IQmbD
DISCLAIMER: Links included in this description might be affiliate links. If you purchase a product or service with the links that I provide I may receive a small commission. There is no additional charge to you! Thank you for supporting my page so I can continue to provide you with free content!