Unicorn noodles are so easy to make and completely magical to watch the colours change from purple to pink. My kind of Chemistry Lesson! They are made using all-natural colouring and would be perfect for kids in the kitchen. With the current restrictions in place, there may be many parents looking for more creative and healthy ways to entertain their kids. Make sure to share this recipe with your friends. I have posted these a few times over on my Instagram but thought I would put the recipe up here for easy reference.
- 4-5 Leaves Red/Purple Cabbage
- 100 g Vermicilli Noodles
- 2 cups Water
- 1/2 Lemon
- Roughly chop the red cabbage. Use the outer leaves with a deeper colour.
- Add water and cabbage to a pot and bring to the boil. Let it simmer for 5-10 mins bruising the cabbage with a wooden spoon.
- Remove the cabbage and discard (compost).
- Add the noodles to the purple water and turn over until they spread out in the pot and are fully submerged in liquid.
- Turn the heat off and cover the pot for 10-15 minutes until the noodles have absorbed all the liquid.
- Stir the noodles and strain off the excess liquid if there is any.
- Place your noodles in a bowl and before serving roughly squeeze the lemon over the purple noodles and the acidity will change the colour to pink.
SURE TO IMPRESS
These Unicorn Noodles are a great way to get kids interested in cooking! Let their imagination run wild and give them their own slice of lemon to colour change the noodles. Not only for kids these Unicorn Noodles are also a great way to add theatre to the dinner table if you are hosting family or friends. I love creating meals that stand out from the rest and get people talking. We eat with our eyes and colourful food always sparks so much more joy at the table.
You can also use the absorption method to cook white long-grain rice in the purple liquid as well. Check out my other recipes for Unicorn Rice below.
For more colourful Recipe ideas and Garden tips be sure to subscribe.
DISCLAIMER: Links included in this description might be affiliate links. If you purchase a product or service with the links that I provide I may receive a small commission. There is no additional charge to you! Thank you for supporting my page so I can continue to provide you with free content!