This simple homemade pickled red onion recipe is easy and delicious! I can easily demolish a jar of pickled red onions in a week. They just get better and better as they continue to pickle and infuse. You can eat these pickled red onions on absolutely anything!! And I mean anything…Top on salads, stirfries, curry, tacos, noodles, cheese, and crackers or in sandwiches. They also make beautiful, delicious gifts for your friends and family.
Watch how to make Pickled Red Onions
Simple Pickled Red Onions
Quick and easy pickled red onions add flavour to any meal. Add your seasonal garden herbs such as Fennel, Dill or Chilli to boost the flavours.
- 3 Red Onions
- 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 cup White Vinegar
- 1 1/2 TBSP Raw Sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Water
- Finely slice the red onions - using a mandoline is the easiest option.
- Cram as many red Onions into a clean sterilised jar.
- In a saucepan add the vinegar, sugar, and salt and stir until the sugar has dissolved and the mix starts to simmer.
- Add any extra flavours to the jar such as chilli, fennel flowers, fennel fronds, fennel seeds, mustard seeds, or peppercorns ( 1tsp per jar).
- Pour over the liquid and secure the lid.
- Allow cooling for one hour and place in the fridge.
To sterlise the jars place in a hot dishwasher run or wash and heat in the over for 10-15 at 110 degrees celcius.
You can swap and use just one type of vinegar if you prefer.
Use within 3 weeks.
Want more Garden to Plate Recipes?
Get exclusive access to develop skills to GROW, COOK, and PRESERVE your own nutrient-dense food at home no matter the size of your garden. Receive monthly “How-to” Articles, Masterclasses, Plant of the Month, Garden to Plate Recipes, Tips & Tricks, and join the journey to live a more sustainable lifestyle.