Vegetarian Pulled Pork Pink Pizza
I have been wanting to make this vegetarian “pulled pork” for a while now and of course, I had to put my own Holly’s Kitchen experiment twist on it and make the dough pink! I was sent some of Vinofoods delicious Merlot BBQ sauce to try for the #vinofoodchallenge and it was AMAZING! This sauce is hand-made at the Lake House Denmark in Western Australia. They have a beautiful range of small-batch, handcrafted Sauces and Condiments.
This recipe is easy and such a fun meal to make if you are entertaining or even cooking with kids. The “vegetarian pulled pork” is so quick and easy to make with ONLY 3 ingredients and could be used on many other dishes such as burgers, wraps or tacos!
Pizza Dough Ingredients (makes 4)
- 1 1/2 cups Beetroot Juice (approx 4 Beetroots) – or replace with water for plain dough
- 4 cups Plain Flour
- 2 tsp Dry Active Yeast
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 TBS Olive Oil
Vegetarian Pulled Pork Ingredients
- 1 Onion ( i used half red and half white)
- 1/2 Bottle Vinofood Merlot Barbecue Sauce 280g – HERE
- 1 can Organic Young Jackfruit (CeresOrganics)
- Tomato paste
- Fresh herbs (pizza thyme, oregano)
- Juice the Beetroot. I used 4 medium-sized Beetroot and it worked out nearly the perfect amount. If you don’t quite have enough you could add water, it may just mute the colour a little. Set the juice aside. I also put the pulp in an airtight container and use throughout the week in smoothies, curry or anything really! #zerowaste
- Place the beetroot juice in a saucepan and heat slightly so that it lukewarm. Measure into a mixing bowl to ensure you have 1 1/2 cups (add water if you are short).
- Add the yeast and sugar to the beetroot juice and stir well. Cover and set aside for 10mins. This will start to froth so make sure your bowl or jug has plenty of room spare.
- In a mixing bowl sift flour, add olive oil, salt and slowly mix in the beetroot juice to form a dough.
- On a floured bench form the dough into a ball and sprinkle with more flour as needed until it is combined and no longer sticky. Place dough in a clean floured bowl, cover and place in a warm spot to rise for 1-2 hours.
- While you wait for the dough you can prepare your vegetarian pulled pork. I used this amount to make 2 pizzas but it could stretch to 4 just depends how much topping you like. I rolled out my two extra bases and froze them for future use.
- Cut the onions and brown in a pan with a little olive oil.
- Rinse and drain the can of jackfruit and add to the pan once the onions have browned. Stir and cook through for a few minutes then simply add the Merlot BBQ sauce. I also added about 1/2 cup water. Stir and start to break up the jackfruit by mashing down with a spoon or spatular. It should start to break apart similar to pulled pork.
- Simmer on medium heat for 5 minutes until the chunks of jackfruit are separated. Turn off, cover and set aside.
- Once the dough has risen. Place on a floured bench and cut into 4 even size pieces. Roll out each base using flour as needed to stop it sticking.
- Preheat oven to 200degrees Celcius.
- Place your pizzas on an oven tray (lightly dust with flour) and add your toppings. Start with a few teaspoons of Tomato paste, herbs then add BBQ jackfruit, tomato, mushroom and top with cheese.
- Place in the oven and cook until dough is crispy – approx 10-15mins
- To serve I added some edible flowers…I would also suggest an extra drizzle of BBQ sauce because it is so good!
MY GARDENING ESSENTIALS //
Fertiliser spray gun: https://bit.ly/366nL1t
Retractable Hose: https://bit.ly/2TSC0Bo
More gardening tools: https://bit.ly/32IQmbD
DISCLAIMER: Links included in this description might be affiliate links. If you purchase a product or service with the links that I provide I may receive a small commission. There is no additional charge to you! Thank you for supporting my page so I can continue to provide you with free content!
DISCLAIMER: Links included on this page might be affiliate links. If you purchase a product or service with the links that I provide I may receive a small commission. There is no additional charge to you! Thank you for supporting my channel so I can continue to provide you with free content each week.